The Cathedral: Chronology

Original Plan

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

1909
Rafael Guastavino constructs a tile dome for the Crossing. Intended to serve as a temporary roof, the dome still stands, one of the largest free-standing domes in the world. Diocesan House (originally St. Faith's House) completed after a design by Heins & LaFarge.

1910
Ernest Skinner begins building the Great Organ, a landmark in the history of the instrument. Among its many innovations is a primitive computer.

1911
Consecration of the Chapel of St. Columba, designed by Heins & LaFarge. William Mercer Grosvenor is named the Cathedral's first Dean. The Great Choir and Crossing are consecrated on April 19. Several weeks later, the Cathedral Trustees hire a new architect to complete the Cathedral, Ralph Adams Cram.

1913
Completion of Synod House, Cathedral House and the adjacent Ogilvie House, all designed by Ralph Adams Cram. The Cathedral School building is completed after a design by Walter Cook and Winthrop Welch.

1914
Consecration of the Chapel of St. Ambrose, designed by John Carrère and Thomas Hastings.

1916
Consecrations of the Chapels of St. James and St. Boniface, both designed by Henry Vaughn. Work begins on the foundation for the nave but is suspended due to a shortage of funds.

1917
Howard Chandler Robbins is named Dean.

1918
Consecrations of the Chapel of St. Ansgar, designed by Henry Vaughn, and the Chapel of St. Martin, designed by Ralph Adams Cram.

1919
Bishop Greer dies and is succeeded by Charles Sumner Burch, 9th Bishop of New York.

1920
Bishop Burch dies and is succeeded by William Thomas Manning, 10th Bishop of New York. Bishop Manning applies himself tenaciously and ingeniously to the reactivation of the building and fund-raising campaigns.

1921
The remains of Bishop Horatio Potter are translated to the Founder's Tomb behind the High Altar.

1922
Installation of the Historical Parapet depicting figures in the history of Christianity.

Based on information from the Cathedral's Web Page